The day after Christmas, Mike, Connie and I took the boys down to the Toledo Zoo to see the Lights Before Christmas display. We met my best friend Katie, her husband Pete and their son Aidan there.
When Mike and I were in college, we walked around the Toledo Zoo, hand-in-hand, sipping hot chocolate and admiring the lights. It was one of our first dates. Neither one of us imagined that 10 years later we'd be pushing our 17-month-old son around the zoo bundled up in his stroller.
The lights were just as we had remembered. Beautiful.
Over one million lights and more than 200 lighted animal images are on display throughout the zoo. The Lights Before Christmas began in 1986 with 50,000 lights. Now nearly 50,000 feet of extension cords are needed (that's almost 10 miles) to create display. If all of the lights were strung end-to-end, it would be nearly 70 miles. It takes almost three months for the zoo employees to string the lights!
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures outside. It was too cold. However, I was able to snap a few when we stopped in the insect building. The boys loved climbing on the giant honeycomb wall and spider web. Miles also thought it was hysterical that he could pop in and out of a giant egg shell.
I highly recommend braving the cold weather to see the lights. The display was open until December 31st; however, the zoo has decided to offer two encore presentations on Friday, January 7th and Saturday, January 8th. For additional information, visit: http://www.toledozoo.org/events/lbc.html






No comments:
Post a Comment