Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Birthday, Baby Boy!

Dear Miles,
A year ago, daddy and I walked into GBMC a little nervous about what we had gotten ourselves into but knew there was no turning back. By the end of the day, you were born and we got our first glimpses of you and our new life as a family of three. We were told how much you would change us but we didn't fully understand the love we could feel for one little person - YOU.


You have brought out the best in mommy and daddy. Your laugh is infectious and your smile lights up a room. And, I've never heard so many older women (especially in the grocery store) stop and say, "Oh my, look at those eyes." In the last 12 months, we have never laughed harder, smiled more or chased after something as much as we have with you.


From the beginning, you've been a good baby (please don't make me bite my tongue later). You started sleeping through the night when you were 10 weeks old and haven't stopped, not even when you had four teeth coming in at one time. Thank you! Mommy and daddy have enjoyed every minute of sleep you've allowed. We are, however, hoping that sometime (very soon) you learn how to sleep past 6-6:30 am on the weekends.


You are very much ALL boy. You've already experienced your first broken bone, a couple goose eggs on your forehead and lots of bumps and bruises because of your curiosity. If you're not into something there's only two reasons why: (1) you're not feeling well and (2) you're sleeping. I wish I could add eating to the list but even with a bottle in hand, you seem to always grab something off of the table.


You're also our little water baby. You LOVE the water. When you hear the water turn on in the bathroom, you quickly dash to the door and "demand" to get in. Lately you've started throwing all of your toys into the tub and then climbing in. Thank goodness you're not quite tall enough to reach the water dial. Let's not forget your favorite indoor water toy - Homer's water dish. I can't count how many times daddy and I have had to stop you from pouring the entire dish onto the floor or over your head. You've only won the battle once and it was worth every picture.


Miles, you're walking, talking and LOUD! One of your favorite things to do is yell "AHHHHH" as you run around the house. Besides "ahhh," you're vocabulary includes mama, dada, baba, bu-bye, hi-ya and several animal sounds - moo, baa, bzz, la la la (three singing pigs) and meow. You also know the sign for milk, more and food - all of which you use and if they don't work you scream until we understand. My favorite though is when you wave bye and then blow a kiss.


Even though I'm your mama/mommy, I'm not the only one who thinks you light up the room with your laugh and smile. Perfect strangers have told your daddy and I this on several occasions. I could write on and on about how much I adore you and what you've learned and accomplished this year, but I'll spare our readers. I hope that your love of life and exploration continue to grow as you do. I love you, Mr. Miles. Happy 1st Birthday, Baby Boy!

Love, Mommy & Daddy

3 comments:

Kory said...

LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! Happy Happy Happy Birthday to your big guy!!!

Kelli said...

Happy Birthday Miles! Enjoy your day and some cake.

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday, Miles! It's fun watching you grow up!! :)