Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday, Baby Boy!

Dear Miles,
I think of mine and daddy's married life before you arrived and wonder how we survived without discussing you and playing with you and thinking about you and singing with you and loving you and worrying about you and running around with you and chasing you and being in absolute awe of you. You have become the center of our universe and our lives are better with you and because of you.

You have taught us to relax and see things from your perspective. Just the other day you ran around the sidewalk chasing after an ant giggling hysterically as you tried to catch it. You remind us daily to slow down and that it's the little things in life that bring joy and happiness. That life is simple.

Lately you love baseball, jumping on the bed, listening to me read over and over again I Love You Forever, or the Very Busy Spider, helping "fold" the laundry, trips to the playground, swimming (this has been on the top of your list since you were first introduced to the pool), milk (we really should invest in a cow), sleep (please don't make me regret writing this), choo-choo trains, painting or coloring, your blankets, making noise, running (sometimes faster than daddy and I would like) and you love, love, love music and singing. You know Itsy Bitsy SpiderYou are My SunshineHappy Birthday and practically every Sesame Street song by heart. And when you sing, you sing LOUD. You could care less who's listening or watching and I hope this never changes. You're not afraid to make noise or be the center of attention.

I'm astonished by your developing language. Your vocabulary is growing every day and you surprise us with words we didn't know you knew, which makes it hard for us to always know what you're saying. When you ask for something you say please and follow-up with thank you. Whether it's putting on your own shoes, walking down the stairs, washing your hands, putting napkins on the table, filling your water cup, bathing yourself, or any number of things, you almost always remind us that you're Mr. Independent, because we always hear I do it. You say things like 1-2-3-4-5..., let's go, o-tay, mama's car, dada's car, nannie's boat, NICK!, surprise and the list goes on and on. My absolute favorite thing you say is your name and pray that I'll capture it on video before you stop saying it in your sweet toddler voice.

It's so hard to find the right adjectives and verbs to capture your spirit but a friend of mine once suggested zesty. And to this day, I think she nailed it! You are full of life, lively without being wild, intense but not scary, and fast but not blindly so (although you are picking up speed), and adventurous! 

You are my sunshine and being your mama has been the greatest blessing in my life. Please continue growing healthy, happy and strong. And never stop smiling or laughing. I love you, Miles. Happy 2nd Birthday, Baby Boy!

Love, Mama



No comments: