Monday, November 1, 2010

Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings...

Tonight, that angel was my great grandpa.

My great grandpa was an amazing man. He had such an infectious laugh and could brighten up any room with it and his smile. He recently celebrated his 101st birthday and his recipe for a long life was simple - laugh a lot, do 120 toe-touches a day and work hard. He'd occasionally add in that it was important to eat a banana a day too.

My heart is sad knowing I will never see my great grandpa again; however, his life is one to be celebrated. He was born in 1909 and lived through so many of the events and inventions that shaped America and the world as we know it today. The last time I saw him in person, he told me about how my great great grandpa immigrated to America and that our family name was actually Slump. During the Great Depression, he said, his father grew tired of hearing about the slump in the economy, and he added two “F”s to the name. I had NO idea - I always thought the family name was Slumpff!

He had a story for everything. I learned so much from him.

My great grandpa was full of love and life and gave the best bear hugs. He loved you for who you were and expected nothing in return. He was genuine.

I have no doubt that the angels took my great grandpa to heaven tonight and reunited him with the love of his life, my great grandma. I think it's only fitting that he left us on All Saint's Day.

RIP grandpa. I will always love you.



No comments: