Sunday, January 6, 2013

Thank you, 2012.

Dear 2012,

I had high hopes when we met a little over a year ago. My old friend, 2011, left town and I welcomed you with open arms. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had high hopes for our time together and you did not disappoint. You turned out to be a pretty good friend. You surprised me. You listened. You let me cry. You gave me strength. You let me be me.

Shortly after you arrived, we welcomed our nephew Leo and learned we would be parents again. You kept our secret until Mother's Day when we let others join in our excitement. You took us on our second family vacation (to see family in Miami) and celebrated my first anniversary of freelancing with me. In November, you were there when we welcomed our baby girl into the world. Only your friend 2009 can say that had that honor. And, right before you left, you gave our babies a white Christmas.

As Hal Borland said "Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experienced can instill in us." Thank you my friend, for all of the memories you gave us. I hope 2013 can fill the shoes you left.



No comments: