Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Joys (and Embarrassments) of Being a Parent

Everyone always talks about the joys of being a parent. Trust me, I get it. Mike and I now understand why parents are so in love with their kids. We are so incredibly happy to have Miles in our lives. However, we we're unbelievably embarrassed today thanks to no one but Mr. Miles.

It's been a while since Mike and I have gone to church. We've been church "shopping" for the last year or so and haven't really found one to call home. We woke up, ate breakfast, got dressed - nothing out of the ordinary. Then packed up the diaper bag, put Miles in the car and headed up to a church our friends recommended.

As soon as the cantor started singing, I was happy. Music makes or breaks the mass for me. The woman had a beautiful voice and the song selection was perfect. We could understand the priest too (which isn't always the case). Miles had ants in his pants, so Mike and I took turns walking him around the vestibule.

At the end of mass, while the priest was making the announcements, Miles took off and I went after him. I picked up the giggling monster and started heading back to our seats. And then, it happened! Miles ran his hand across the wall and pulled the fire alarm. Yes. He pulled the FIRE ALARM! At first it didn't sound so I thought we were safe and then, as the priest was talking about the Ravens vs. Steelers game, WAH-WAH-WAH-WAH-WAH! There I was holding my 15-month-old son with the entire congregation looking at me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my son dearly but COME ON. It's bad enough that it happened but it happened our very first time there. Mike and I aren't sure whether or not we'll show our faces again. I can't tell you how many times we apologized. The priest was very kind as we were leaving and the two Eucharistic Ministers who reset the alarm were too - they said it happens to everyone. (But Mike wants to know how many people have had their child pull a fire alarm at church!)

Anyway, on our way out we noticed a sign in the drive that said free child care during the 9:30 and 11:00 am masses. The daily bulletin said that any child under the age of three can attend the child care the church offers so parents can attend mass. Great idea! Love it. I just wish we would have know about it before this little incident. If we go back, Miles will NOT be accompanying us into the mass. I think we'll take advantage of the services the church provides.

No comments: