Saturday, June 27, 2009

Great Books for Expecting Moms

At the beginning of my pregnancy, I was given so many books on pregnancy, parenting, nutrition, sleeping habits, etc. Unfortunately, there are still quite a few that I haven't had a chance to read and at this point, as sad as it sounds, probably won't. If you or someone you know is expecting, here are five books I would recommend. I'm not saying the rest aren't great or you shouldn't buy them, but these are staples for any pregnant woman's bookshelf.

Baby Bargains: Secrets to Savings 20% to 50% on Baby Furniture, Gear, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear & Much, Much More!
by Denise Fields

I became a fan of this series when I purchased Bridal Bargains when Mike and I were engaged. Denise Fields does such a great job breaking down what is and is NOT necessary to have a great wedding. In this book, she shares what expecting parents "need" to look after the baby. Parents learn all about how (and where) to shop for a crib and dresser, what type of bedding is needed and what can be skipped, which clothing brands are safest and least expensive, and how to shop for monitors, toys, car seats, strollers, books and more. Products have been field-tested and this book provides ratings on every major brand and several minor ones too. Baby Bargains is a must read for parents. The 8th edition was released in April 2009. The image shown here is the 5th edition.

**There's also a Toddler Bargains book that I plan on getting once we enter that phase of parenthood.

Baby 411: Clear & Smart Answers for Your Baby's First Year
by Denise Fields

My girlfriend Stacy gave me this book. She said it was one of her favorites and full of great information. She wasn't lying. This book is fantastic. It goes over picking a pediatrician, with savvy questions to ask and insider tips; finding the best way to get your baby to sleep through the night; deciding what to do when baby gets sick, including when to worry and when not to; discovering secrets to soothing a fussy baby; breastfeeding your baby and introducing new, improved formulas and solid food, with detailed nutritional information and step-by-step guide. The book is formatted in a way that makes it easy to read. I have the 3rd edition of this book but the 4th edition is scheduled to be released in September.

**There's also a Toddler 411 book.

Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy & Childbirth
by Jenny McCarthy

I'm not a huge Jenny McCarthy fan, but her "in your face" humor on pregnancy and childbirth is hysterical. My friend Abi gave me this book at the very beginning of my pregnancy. It wasn't until last week that I actual had time to sit back and read it. I'm almost glad I waited until the end because it may have scared me a little had I read it in the beginning. McCarthy is very candid on the areas she touches on in this book. However, now that my pregnancy is almost finished I can relate to many of the experiences and questions she had along the way. I was laughing out loud reading most of this book and there were parts that I just had to share with Mike.

Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth about the First Year of Mommyhood
by Jenny McCarthy

Abi also gave me this book. I just started reading this book yesterday and will probably finish it today, unless I go into labor. Even though I'm not a mommy just yet, I am again laughing out loud to McCarthy's experiences and advice. She discusses the fears that we all have for that first year. This book is a light-hearted look at being a new mother.


What to Expect When Expecting
by Heidi Murkoff

No mother-to-be book collection would be complete without What to Expect When Expecting. This book answers dozens of questions and provides a week-by-week fetal development section in each monthly chapter. It discusses current lifestyle trends and provides advice on a wide array of topics.

I have to admit, this wasn't my favorite place to find answers. I often found myself on http://www.babycenter.com; however, this book does provides thorough advice.

I would also recommend the website http://www.whattoexpect.com.

No comments: