Sis, this is it. This is your last single digit birthday. Where, oh where, has the time gone?
When I look at you, it’s hard to believe you’re only nine. You may look like a third grader, but your wit is beyond your years. You can already go head-to-head with people decades older than you…just ask Papa. I’m fairly certain you were put on this Earth to give him a run for his money because you do—if he says you don’t, he’s lying ;)
Your perseverance throughout the pandemic is inspiring. When you initially went back into the classroom last March, the transition was hard. You were mentally ready, but your body played tricks on you and forced us to take a step back and ease into things. You started meditating and doing breathing exercises to help your mind reset. You were a champ, and it didn’t take long for you to join your classmates four days a week for the remainder of second grade. And surprisingly the meditations have become a staple at bedtime and, after so many years of bedtime struggles, you are sleeping consistently (AMEN).
Your love of learning and mastering new skills continues to grow. This year, you started cooking and are naturally talented in the kitchen. I looked forward to every class to taste your meals and desserts. I’m pretty sure I gained a good 10+ pounds just from your cooking but it was so worth it—it was all delicious. You decided to take a break this fall while you were playing soccer, but I truly hope that you pick it back up again because you are so good at it. As Julia Child once said, “The more you know, the more you can create. There’s no end to imagination in the kitchen.”
Then there’s soccer. Sis, I’m still not sure when or how you decided to play again. You were adamant two years ago that you would NEVER “do that again." (It’s a good example as to why you should never say never.) Yet, you did and somehow managed to talk your dad into coaching your team even though he had already committed to coaching Miles’ travel team. There isn’t anything that man wouldn’t do for you. Even though you were sidelined a few games because of a broken arm (more on that later), you finished the season strong. You were a fierce competitor on the field and scored your first three goals of the season in the last game—nothing like ending with a hat trick. My favorite part was watching you jump into dad’s arms in celebration after each goal. Throughout the season, I watched you grow as a player. I loved cheering you on every minute of every game.
Did I mention you broke your arm? I wish it was a good story, but I think that dining room rug has jumped out at all of us at one time or another. Thankfully it was just a hairline fracture on your elbow and our first cast experience only lasted two weeks. You were a champ and quickly learned to maneuver life with only one good arm. There’s no doubt that not being able to ride your bike during that time was by far the hardest part for both of us.
You also earned the title of BEST little sister—don’t let Miles tell you otherwise. Your brother’s love of sports has not been easy on you. We’ve lost track of how many hours we’ve spent at the baseball diamond or soccer field the last year and we know you’d rather be doing something else most days. Thank you for rooting him on with us. It means to world to him (and us).
Sis, you are creative and see inspiration in everything and everywhere. You live by your own beat and sing every step of the way. You love fiercely and are a loyal friend. You are silly, brave, kind, loving and stubborn. You continue to challenge us every single day—pushing our buttons and pushing us to be better parents. Always remember… you are tremendous.
I love you to the moon and back to the moon and back.
XOXO,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment