Friday, July 2, 2021

Preteen?!

Dear Miles,

There is a lump forming in my throat as I write this letter. I’m so incredibly proud of the young man you are becoming. You have grown exponentially over the last year. It’s hard to tell whether the changes we’ve seen are because you are getting older and that’s just what happens or because the world changed, and you had no choice but to go along for the ride. 

The last year was not easy… 
  • You missed months of in-person learning at school, but you embraced online learning and, if I’m being honest, exceled at it. You didn’t miss a beat. If anything, you were a bit bored and needed to be more challenged. I don't think you'll ever take sitting in a classroom for granted again.
  • The last time you saw most of our extended family was in July 2019. There are so many people you love and who love you who haven’t seen you in at least two years. It hurts my heart that so much time has passed, but I know it will be a beautiful moment when that time and distance is removed.

But it wasn’t all bad…
  • You were resourceful and quickly realized that you could spend as much time as you wanted with your cousin(s) on Facetime and playing video games. One of my favorite memories of this last year is how close you and Ella have become. I think the two of you may have taken advantage of us—knowing that we would never tell you to get off of the phone if it was family. 
  • The 1:1 time you had with your sister brought the two of you closer (most days). You still have your moments, but she adores you and wants nothing more than to be by your side. I love when the two of you disappear and all I can hear is laughter echoing through the house (the yelling and arguing…not so much).
  • We loaded up the car and drove 16+ hours to “steal” Nannie and PopPop’s house in Florida while they were in Maryland. We spent Thanksgiving morning in the Gulf of Mexico splashing in the water and digging in the sand with family.
  • Almost every weekend from January – March was spent on the slopes. You and dad spent hours skiing together. I loved hearing about your adventures skiing down the moguls, black diamonds and double blacks. You are your dad’s mini-me.
  • And you played an entire baseball season. After only having a handful of scrimmage last season, it was so good to see you doing what you love most this spring. You have a genuine passion for the game, and it never gets old watching you play ball.

Little man, you are one of my unsung heroes of the pandemic. You didn’t argue about wearing a mask or throw a temper tantrum when we couldn’t do certain activities. You just did what you were asked and, for the most part, with your beautiful smile and a laugh.

I am blessed to be your mama and to do life with you. I love how thoughtful your questions are and the conversations we have together. Your morning hugs are my favorite way to start the day. 
With middle school right around the corner, I want you to know how important it is to take responsibility for your actions. If you do something wrong, and you will—it’s inevitable—own it. Own every mistake. If you hurt someone, apologize. Learn and grow from every misstep you take because every failure, big or small, should be seen as a lesson rather than a failure—fail with confidence. Stand tall and do better next time. Remember that when you put your nose down and work hard, your talent will speak for itself. Be honest. Be kind. Be selfless. Be grateful… Because, your character is what matters most. 

You are my sunshine—keeping shining. Happy birthday, baby boy!
Love, Mom












No comments: