Sis, 2020 has been quite the year. It seems like you turned seven YEARS ago, not 12 months ago. It's surreal that we're already celebrating your birthday...but this time during a pandemic.
When March 13th hit, we had no idea what was in store for us. We just knew we had to hunker down and slow the COVID-19 curve. You were excited to have a few weeks home with me and dad. Even though I had no doubt you would NOT be returning to school to finish out 1st grade in the classroom, I didn't expect you would be my officemate this school year too.
Daddy and I are so proud of the way you navigate virtual learning. I know some parents with students your age worry about their children getting to the right place online and following along. You have been a champ. You know where to go and what to do and it's only when you are in a pickle that you call my name. There are times that I have to remind myself that you are only in 2nd grade and not a teenager.
You love learning and mastering new skills. You've been practicing multiplication tables with PopPop just because. You haven't started learning it in math, but you know your brother can do it, so you want to as well. I've lost count of how many chapter book series you've read this year. When you're not "in school" you're writing letters to me and dad or coming up with song lyrics. I'm convinced you're going to be a commercial jingle writer—your'e the only kid I know who just walks around singing jingles all day. Your current favorite: "The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup."
Over the last night months, you have embraced life and have truly blossomed. We've always known you were more of an introvert and being home has allowed you to be in a comfortable situation (all day, every day). It's been a BIG year—you have grown so much, and you've truly come into your own. While you are still a bit shy, you have allowed the girl we knew was on the inside to come out. It's been beautiful to witness this transformation.
Since the day you were born you have struggled with bedtime. There's no sugar coating it—falling asleep was a form of torture for you (and everyone in the house). Then one day not too long ago you magically decided you didn't need us to lay with you anymore and could put yourself to bed. We're not sure what happened but we appreciate the full nights of sleep you're giving us after so many years of sleepless nights.
Baby girl, you hold so much love, humor, kindness, passion and wit in your soul. Yet you know what you want to do and don't need a bunch of opinions to be sure of it. You are fiercely independent but prefer to stay out of the spotlight. You have your own style and have little care of what the world thinks. Your sassy short haircut is just one of the ways you express it. Baby girl, I pray that you never sacrifice who you are for anyone and always stay true to yourself. It won't be easy, but life is too short to be someone else.
I know you love your brother and he loves you. (Monkey see monkey do continues to be your favorite game.) Sometimes your dad and I witness the love and it's glorious when we do. The giggles and smiles make my heart happy. However, there's a lot of arguing that happens too. I know that you both adore each other but he is at an age where he doesn't want to show you his love all of the time. Try not to take it too personal. Just cherish his hugs or when he asks you to play a game with him.
I love you. I love so much about you...your cuddles, hugs, self-confidence, creativity, fearlessness and the way your dimples appear with a genuine smile. Sis, you carry a part of my soul and I'm blessed to watch you grow. Happy Birthday, baby girl. I love you to the moon and back to the moon and back.
XOXO, Mommy



No comments:
Post a Comment