Dear Miles –
You’ve been away at Scout Camp all week. You left us as a 12-year-old and you’re returning to us on your birthday as a teenager. It’s hard to believe that today you turn 13…THIR-TEEN! This birthday is the first one that dad and I weren’t the ones who wished you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY first. In so many ways you turning 13 feels surreal. Recently I’ve found myself counting how many more summers we have left with you before you’re a high school graduate. Not including this one, it’s FIVE (if you wanted to know). Even though the days are long, the years are way too short and moving faster the older you get.
- I know you already know this, but I am proud of you…
- I am proud of the young man that you’ve become and continue to grow into.
- I am proud of how resourceful you are when a need arises.
- I am proud of how you believe in yourself and others.
- I am proud of the questions you ask and the thought you put into how you phrase them.
- I am proud of the athlete you are and the sportsmanship you show on and off the field.
- I am proud of how caring, respectful and kind you are to others.
- I am proud of the way you’ve handled yourself when you’ve been faced with disappointment.
- I am proud of the lessons you’ve learned and the way you carry yourself with confidence.
- I am proud of the friendships you’ve created.
- I am proud of how you navigated your first year in middle school and that you tried (and did) your best each day.
- I am proud of you for taking your first flight without mom and dad and for watching out for your sister during the trip.
- I am proud of how determined you are to solve a Rubik’s cube as quickly as you can...I’m still impressed that you were able to do six different cubes in less than 10 minutes.
- I am proud that when you set your mind to something you do it...even if it's not showering the entire week you were at Scout Camp!
- I am proud of how independent you and that you don’t hide that you still need me and dad.
Son, you make me proud every single day. You do plenty of BIG things that shine bright but it’s the little things that fill my heart…especially how much you love your sister (even when she pokes at you). As you grow older, I hope you allow yourself to be proud of the progress you make throughout life, especially the progress that no one else sees.
Even though I have no doubt that this is the year will be the year you grow the inch that makes you taller than me, you will forever be my little man. I am blessed to be your mama and to do life with you.
You are my sunshine—keep shining. I love your smile and the way it lights up the world around you. You will forever be one of my greatest blessings. No matter what. No matter when. No matter where…
Happy birthday, baby boy!
I love you, Mom


No comments:
Post a Comment