Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Woah, we're half way there...


Dear Miles,

You are nine. N-I-N-E! Do you know how crazy that sounds? You are one year away from double digits—and half way to 18. Adulthood <another gulp>. It’s almost like a half-way point of parenting and I’m not ready to think about it. I’m in absolute denial because it really is impossible to comprehend that it’s ONLY been NINE years since we held you in our arms for the very first time. People warned us that it would fly by and I wish we would have listened.  

Miles, you are my heart and my soul. You have forced your dad and I to see the world differently EVERY SINGLE DAY. Your smile has been infectious since the first time you showed it. Lil’ man, you are tremendous… and I pray that you don’t just think it, but you truly believe it. You are intelligent, creative and empathetic. You are kind and smart, funny and gentle, and have always had a zest for life. I am proud that you are my son and I hope that you hear me when I say it.

Over the last year, you have developed this incredibly goofy facial expression and noise to go along with it that no one can mimic. You’ve worked to become one of the best catchers for your age and won your second straight championship. (I love watching you play and knowing that you have a true love of the game). You are doing crazy math in your head that I don’t understand thanks for common core. You’re creating inspiring art pieces (one was even selected to represent your school in a county-wide art exhibit). And you love to help others when in need. But, I’m most thankful that you still reach for my hand and don’t push away when I try to snuggle.

When you were a baby, one of the songs I used to sing to you while rocking you to bed was “My Wish” by Rascal Flatts. Little man, there are so many things that I wish and pray for you…

I pray that you always keep your sense of wonder. That you always seek out adventure and never hesitate to choose a path that speaks to you no matter how many rocky switchbacks, steep the climb or deep the mud. You never know what beauty you’ll see from the top, but it’s often breathtaking and worth the effort and pain. As your dad says, your body can do anything

I pray that you always feel the love that surrounds you and for the ability to love yourself unconditionally. May those moments of self-doubt that you experience in life be short-lived and may you always know that you are so very loved. Not just by us, but by so many people who have been blessed enough to cross paths with you.

I pray that your laugh always come straight from your belly and be genuine. Don’t be afraid to let your stomach ache and your face hurt from the joy of laughter. But remember, it should never be at the expense of others.  

I pray that you always share what you love no matter what others think. Don’t be afraid of your passions even if others don’t find them “cool.” Always listen to your gut and your heart and follow both. I have faith that you’ll know what works for you and that you’ll choose the right path.  

I pray that you’ll always protect your sister. When you feel like it, you are a big help to your sister. She doesn’t always make it easy for you, but you show her how to do things and the laughs and giggles you two share melt my heart. I promise that you won’t regret having her as your friend when you’re older.

Miles, you are my sunshine. You make me a better person for having been your mama that last 3,285 days. Happy birthday, baby boy!

Love, 
Mom(my)



No comments: