-->
Miss Thing. You’ve been counting down to this day for weeks.
Every time I had to tell you it wasn’t “the” day, you pumped your fists and
gave me the “look” (lower lip, scrunched up nose, and piercing eyes). It was
almost like you were trying to use a Jedi mind trick to change my answer. Sadly, it
didn't worked… until today.
I woke up earlier to finish icing your cake, but heard you scream
“IT’S MY BIRTHDAY” before your feet even hit the floor. I ran up the stairs to
try to catch you opening up your door but you were moving too fast. Thankfully
the streamers and balloons (that we had convinced you we forgot and wouldn’t be
doing this year) slowed you down and I was able to see your BIG smile. Like
last year and the year before that, you sat there and contemplated how to get
out of your room without tearing through. You made me promise not to take them
down…sometime in the next week or two I know you’ll do it yourself. You always
do.
You have grown so much over the last year. You’re not just taller,
but you’re now a kindergartener. I’m still in shock that you’re old enough to
be walking into the same building as your big brother. It doesn’t seem possible
that just a few months ago you were walking up to receive your certificate for
finishing preschool. Even though the jury is still out whether or not you like kindergarten,
I’m convinced you’re playing a game with us. Every morning you wake up and say “I
don’t want to go to school. I don’t like school.” And then every afternoon you
run into the house and can’t even get your book bag off before you’re announcing
every little thing you did during the day. “Weaver World” is definitely the
best fit for you and your spunky personality.
Even though snuggling with you will always be my favorite
part of any day, you brighten up my morning every time you turn around and give
me a little wave as you’re walking into the school. You wait until you’re a few
steps in front of the car on the sidewalk and then turn and there it is. Your wave…just
for me. I think it’s your way of reminding me (and possibly yourself) that you “got
this.”
Little lady, you leave Daddy and I speechless or laughing constantly
with your wit and humor. You have a way of weaving it into conversations that
are well beyond your years. Just the other day you told Miles that he “needs to
be more independent” and after I mistakenly called your poop emoji mug your
Wonder Woman mug, you reminded me “poop and Wonder Woman are NOT the same.” Seriously
though, thanks for the reminder J
Every single day, I ask God for patience. There has not been
a day in your life that you haven’t pushed Daddy and I to be better parents.
You keep us on our toes no matter what time of day. You amaze us with your
drive and determination. Right now, you’re pouring so much energy into reading
because there’s nothing you want more. We love that you’ve already mastered
several books and every night you want to try a new one.
You are a natural athlete and have so much focus. You make
playing look effortless, but I wouldn’t be honest if I told the world that I
thought you loved playing sports. You had a great time playing soccer this past
fall—you even scored several goals—yet I’m not sure you’re going to jump at the
chance to play again next year. We hope that you will but, if not, we’ll find something
else to charge your soul. And even though you lean more toward Tom Boy, there’s
nothing you enjoy more than doing hair—especially my hair and all of your
dolls. One day you changed my hairstyle at least six times, but I’m fairly certain
the final tally was closer to nine.
I’ve already written a small book and could continue writing
even more, but you’re finally asleep and I need to get some rest too. I need to
be ready for whatever you toss my way tomorrow.
Baby girl, keep being YOU…you are smart, brave, kind,
loving, sassy, relentless and loud. You are tremendous. Don’t let anyone tell
you differently.
I love you to the moon and back.
XOXO,
Mommy

1 comment:
Your little girl is truly tremendous! I look forward to seeing her again! After reading your letter to her and about her, I am convinced she has a wonderful mom! You believe in her and encourage her to be all that she can be. It is exciting to watch your children grow! It is also scary!! One day, you will turn around and they will be all grown up. Enjoy every day with them. Bobby and Deedee grew up so fast, I often wish for the days when they were little.
Please wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from our family!
Love,
Nora
Post a Comment