Sunday, July 2, 2017

And now you're eight.

Dear Miles,

When the doctor said, "It's a boy," I remember thinking "This is real. The last nine months were really real. This little blue eyed boy is real and... he's mine."

It's so very hard to comprehend that that moment happened eight years ago. EIGHT. How is that even possible?! I was just starting to get used to the fact that you were seven. The warnings seem to be coming less frequently but I still get reminded to "enjoy every moment," or "they don't stay little long," or "you're going to miss this." And each time someone reminds me, you seem to magically grow before my eyes and I find myself wishing time would freeze, even if only for a moment. This year went by in record time. We're talking Millennium Falcon-like warp speed.

You're teetering in that space between little kid and big kid and it's only a matter of time before that space and "little" disappear. You're all about video games or baseball and then at night you fall fast asleep with your favorite blankie in your hands. You love to read and have mastered how to do it on your own. There are nights that our roles are reversed and you read to me and more often than not only stop after I'm out.

With the encouragement of several friends (and your dad...grrr) you've become an Orioles fan (very much to this Tiger lovin' big D girl's dismay) and your love of baseball continues to grow as quickly as you do. Watching you play baseball has become one of my favorite weekend activities. You own the plate. You have become quite the little catcher and made some incredible plays to help your team not only win the league championship, but go undefeated for the season. Your coach described you as "the defender of the year." But I've seen that title span across all sports that you play. At the end of the soccer season your coaches nominated you to play on the all-star team. Your favorite position to play was goalie... Surprise? Coincidence? Who knows. But when I watch you on the basketball court you play stellar defense there as well. You're not he biggest, strongest or fastest but you have a way of making your presence known.

This year you lost your two front teeth and we giggled about your toothless smile that lasted a good four months. Your teeth finally started to come in but just last week you lost your fifth tooth while we were in Washington on vacation. We, or I should say you, were informed that losing teeth in a different state came with a premium and the tooth fairy paid more. You woke up completely forgetting to look under your pillow...

You spent your entire birthday jumping waves and digging holes in the sand. Nothing but smiles for miles today. Two oceans, thousands of miles apart, in one week. Happiness beamed out of you. How could they not?!

Little man, you have a heart of gold. You're my snuggle bug and your sister's hero. You have and always will be my sunshine. Everyone who knows you tells your daddy and I how blessed we are to have you as our son. We don't argue. You may not be perfect, but you are one heck of a kid and I'm incredibly proud and lucky to be the one you call mommy.

I love you more. Happy birthday, baby boy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Miles is so lucky to have you for a mom! Happy birthday to all of you! I am blessed by your love of family and your friendship!