Wednesday, July 3, 2013

FOUR?! WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?

Dear Miles,
You are four! FOUR! You woke up this morning, looked me in the eyes and asked, "Mommy, am I four now?" When I answered yes, you screamed "YES! I AM FOUR." And I sat there with a smile on my face and a pang in my heart. Yes baby, you are four.

You are all boy. A boy with superhero underwear, pajamas and action figures. A boy who flies down the hallway ready to propel into the air like Superman. A boy in love with cars, especially Lightning McQueen and the other Cars' crew. A boy who reenacts scenes word-for-word from said movie(s). A boy who wishes he could fly and pretends to battle Captain Hook. A boy who I've caught using a bar of soap to attach his shadow. A boy who says that his happy thought is "my baby sister, Melina Rose." A boy who melts every ounce of this mama's heart.

Since Melina was born, you and I haven't had as much time together. On the nights we get to read and lay together before bed, you ask me to sing. You ask me to sing "our song." And every time I do, you nuzzle your head into my shoulder and smile, thumb in mouth. Before I leave, I cover your face in kisses and you always let me know if I miss a spot.

You are funny, so very matter-of-fact, and full of questions. You love to sing regardless of who's listening, and you dance like no one is watching. Your laugh is just as infectious as your smile — just ask your sister. You are my sunshine, little man.

I love you, happy birthday.

Love, Mommy



No comments: