Monday, May 14, 2012

Belly Book: My 9-Month Journey

I've decided to try to keep a pregnancy journal online since I'm absolutely terrible with writing in any type of baby book. Feel free to read, or simply ignore these posts. I have no idea how often I'll write them, or if I'll even remember to jot things down. So, now that the secret is out, here are a few of answers to questions people have been asking:


Where and when I took the home pregnancy test:
It was Monday, March 12 around 5:45 in the morning while Mike, Miles and Lucy were sound asleep.

First reaction when I realized it was positive:
At first I didn't see the second line and I was a bit disappointed. We had been trying for the last couple of months and thought "here we go again." Then I noticed that the line was starting to appear, though faint. I re-read the directions and it said "if there is a second line, even faint, you're pregnant." Then I thought, "oh my, here we go again."

How I told Mike:
Fast-forward 20 minutes, I walked into the bedroom to a still sleeping Mike and woke him up. He was with me when I bought the pregnancy test and knew I planned on taking it that morning. Surprising him wasn't really an option.

Mike's reaction:
Well, he rolled over and went back to sleep. When I woke him up an hour later so he could get ready for work, I asked him if he recalled being woken up. It was a few minutes later that he realized that he didn't see the second line earlier (his eyes weren't working yet). He then said, "congratulations." A bit of an odd response considering this is his kid too...I guess I should have said "congratulations" back.

Who we told first and their reactions:
The only person that knew besides Mike and my doctor, was my dad. I needed to let him in on the "secret" so he could help try to convince my mom to come to Maryland to celebrate Mother's Day and her birthday. Unfortunately our attempts were unsuccessful. So, I packaged up her presents along with some photos we took and sent them to Michigan for her. She opened up the presents on a video call so we were able to see her reaction.

We told Mike's parents and siblings the same way; however, we were able to tell Susan, Frank, Steve and Kelly in person. Since Cheryl and Tim live in Florida, we did a video call with them like we did with my mom.

I have no idea how we were able to keep this a secret as long as we did. A few people had their hunches, and a few others kept suggesting that Mike and I expand our family.

Our due date:
My doctor says that it's Thursday, November 15; however, I don't agree with him. Based on my calculations he's a week off. I'm positive it should be Thursday, November 22 – Thanksgiving Day. We haven't had our "big" ultrasound yet, so I'm interested to see where the baby is measuring at that time.

Is it a boy? Girl?:
It's too early to tell, but when the time comes we have decided not to find out. We made it the entire first pregnancy not knowing if Miles as a he or a she and figured there's no reason. It doesn't matter – we'll take either one.

No comments: