Sunday, March 6, 2011

Boys+Power Tools=Bad News

I've struggled with whether or not to write about Miles' power tool accident last week. It was something that shouldn't have happened and the last thing I want to do is make Mike feel any worse than he already does. Unfortunately, this blog is Miles' life story, so how could I not include it. So the story begins...

"Shannon. Mike took Miles to the hospital. I'm not sure what happened but I think he may have broken his hand. Mike doesn't have his phone and asked us to tell you when you got home. Thought we'd call instead." 

I had just finished shopping at Target and was loading up the car when I decided to check my voicemail. After listening to my neighbor's message, I started the car and headed a mile down the road to the local hospital. I'd be lying if I said I went into panic mode because I didn't. After Miles broke his pinkie last spring, I had a feeling we would witness a few more broken bones. Miles is a daredevil and is always testing the limit. I think he'd fly if we let him.

I pulled into the hospital ER parking lot and quickly spotted Mike's car. I went in, asked what room my boys were in and proceeded into the pediatric ER wing. I took one look at Mike and Miles and knew it was not a broken bone. There was too much blood. Mike was holding Miles' hand out while he sat there bawling with his face buried into Mike's shoulder.

Mike quickly started telling me the story.

"I decided to use my band saw and thought it would be fine since it's so tall. I didn't think about or see the opening on the back where the belts and wheels are located. When I turned the saw on, Miles put his hand in..."

It was then that the ER pediatrician came in and asked him to relive the story once again. I sat there watching Mike agonize over his poor decision and listened as my little boy lay crying in pain. The doctor looked at the wound and told both of us that Miles was extremely lucky and that children lose fingers when incidents like this occur. Miles would walk out of the hospital with all 10 fingers, no broken bones and no stitches just a few abrasions that would heal in a few weeks.

Trust me, even though the doctor delivered great news, I still wanted to hurt my husband. I'm not sure either of us will ever know exactly what he was thinking but I'm glad he reacted as quickly as he did when he saw Miles reach into the "engine" of the saw. Had he not, I'm pretty sure this story would have had a different ending.

As for the bad news – the injured finger was the thumb Miles sucked. In order to prevent infection, Mike and I had no choice but to wrap it and cover it so Miles wouldn't pop it into his mouth. It's been a week and Miles now has his thumb back; however, it appears that he may have given up thumb sucking. We can't be certain but he hasn't bothered with it. So, if any good came from this accident, it's that we may have forced Miles to break his habit.

Moral of the Story: Power tools and babies/toddlers/kids do NOT mix. Don't even try it.
Lesson Learned: If you need to break your child of a thumb sucking habit, try putting a sock over their hand and tape it on. It may be too early to tell, but it looks like it worked for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you guys had to go through that! I'm glad Miles is okay. I know what you mean about debating whether to write posts about the less than fun memories. I posted our recent incident just the other day too. I think boys are sometimes too curious for their own good. I'm glad your story has a happy ending!
Erin