I DID IT! I finished the Baltimore Women's Classic 5K in 32:24 minutes and ran the entire race. The "unofficial" results show that I finished 647th out of 2060 women and 205th out of 500 in my age group. It was HOT and HUMID this morning, so I'm just glad I made it. Mine and Mike's friend Angie, who was also my trainer at the eight-week training program, pushed me to keep running. She stayed by my side the entire race - thank you Angie! The first place finisher ran the course in 18:24 - she's a friend of a friend and is a marathon runner. She's crazy fast! Unfortunately,
Mike wasn't able to get a picture of me coming through the finish line. As a matter of fact, he wasn't able to get any pictures of me. There were thousands of spectators this year - many, many more than in years past. I know there are some floating around and will post them as soon as I get them.
I am extremely proud to be a part of this organization. Since Mike and I started volunteering in 2003, the race has grown from 300 participants to over 2500. When I was on stage with the rest of the steering committee handing out awards, I couldn't believe how many people were in the audience. It was amazing. The Baltimore Women's Classic 5k is the second oldest all women's race in the United States and this year was the 35th anniversary. All proceeds from the event go to women's gynecological health initiatives.
Here's a link to the local news station's video of the event: http://wjz.com/video/?id=72137. The two women being interviewed are the race co-chairs, Laurie and Carrie. Take a look at the race shirt they are wearing...I designed it :)
The Baltimore Sun wrote an article on the race, which was published yesterday. The photo in the newspaper was taken by Mike and he received credit! It's pretty cool to see his name in print :) Unfortunately the online version doesn't include the photo, but here's a link to it anyway: http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-sp-womens-classic-run-0626-20100625,0,44708.story
1 comment:
Congrats on your finish! I am running a 5K in September....I suppose I should start training, huh???
Post a Comment