I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere between what feels like yesterday and today Miles went from a squishy, snuggly not-so-little newborn to a let's play baseball, run around being crazy, all-boy big boy. I listened to the warnings, but it's not a warning you really take seriously.
Preschool. Wow. That really did sneak up on us.
Miles did awesome. I'd like to pat myself on the back too. Even though today was one of those days that made me pause and really question the time that has passed, I couldn't help but smile. While I was sitting there watching Miles in his class, I thought about when he was born. His first car ride. When he started crawling, walking, talking, running...I couldn't help but try to remember all of those moments I told myself I would never forget — moments like today. I wasn't sad because Miles was starting a new chapter, but because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't recall everything. The details of so many special moments are fuzzy. Darn you brain for not storing it all as I had requested. System failure.
So, I write this to help keep the moments vivid. Because it seems like I blinked and he's walking into preschool with his beautiful blue eyes locked on me, his dinosaur book bag handing on his back, and his feet shuffling toward the door almost as if he thinks they'll take him somewhere else. I write this so I remember the way he looked at me during his first circle time with a worrisome brow, that he stayed by my side while we went around to the first couple of work stations and that it was 15-20 minutes into class that he realized he could do it by himself. That he realized he would be okay and that he REALLY is a big boy.
I write this because the next time I blink...

No comments:
Post a Comment