Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Happy 3rd Birthday, Little Miss!

Oh, Melina. Today, YOU were the center of attention. From the minute you woke up you were showered in love, hugs and kisses... but honestly, that's the norm. Even on days when you clearly wake up on the wrong side of the bed, it's hard not to smile and wrap you up in my arms or for your brother or dad to ignore you. It must be that little dimple and those big eyes.

Where do I even begin? How do I summarize another year of your life? Another year. Pinch me, because you are THREE. You've been practicing holding up your three little fingers for weeks and reminding everyone who would listen that you were going to be "free" today. As much as I'm in shock that you're no longer a toddler, I'm looking forward to seeing the little lady you turn into over the course of the next one.

Why? Well Little Miss, how do I put it lightly... you are challenging. Not just a little but more than an almost three foot person should honestly be. You have this incredible personality that's almost too big for your body. You've always had the "I know what I want" mentality since the doctor placed you in our arms, but now that you can vocalize your requests, it's evident that we may be in a wee-bit of trouble. I have faith that one day you'll grow into it. Day-by-day, I see glimpses of this person.

One thing is for sure though, you love your brother and he loves you. Every single day the two of you go back and forth between best friend status to bully mode. It's comical. One minute you're holding hands running into leaves, and the next you're pushing each other and trying to one-up the other. There are just as many laughs (if not more) than tears. You haven't figured out that he's bigger than you and even when you do, I'm not sure that you'll care. You have no trouble standing your ground.

Lately, you LOVE so many of the things I grew up loving including My Little Ponies, Legos and Barbies. Every night we read at least three Little Critter books. You love any type of craft. You could paint for hours. And, if someone told you to cover every inch of the walls with stickers, you'd do it in a heartbeat. I almost forgot that you are mesmerized by the "big girls" at gymnastics and have told me several times that "I want to do that, mommy" while watching them on the beam, bars and floor. When you see one of them dismount and flip, your eyes get wide and your mouth drops... and sometimes you squeak out a "did you see that?!" With your determination, something tells me I'll see you in there one day doing it yourself.

I really had every intention of writing you this amazing letter but I'm honestly falling asleep at the computer. I've jolted myself awake at least five times already because I think Miles may be the only one getting really good sleep in the house. You are a night owl. Most nights daddy or I fall asleep before you do in YOUR bed. And somehow you wake up somewhere between 1–3AM every night (not joking). When this happens, you occasionally walk down the hall and crawl between me and daddy (and even do so without waking us up — score!). Other nights, you call out for us until we walk down the hall and most of the time, the end result is the same. You waking up between us in the morning. I know it won't last forever, but I'm hoping it's doesn't last too much longer.

Little Miss, you are my side-kick. My little lady. My baby girl. Your butterfly kisses and bear hugs help get me through my day. You remind me constantly that the days are long but the years are short. Thank you. I cannot picture my days without you.

I love you to the moon and back. 
Mommy


No comments: