Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Ireland: Dublin (Part I)

Now boarding, flight 136 to Dublin.

With my little blue passport book and boarding pass in hand, I threw my carry-on over my shoulder and proceeded to the gate. Butterflies — not the ones you get when you're nervous but the ones that feed off of excitement — swarmed inside. I was finally on my way to the one place I've ALWAYS wanted to visit. Next stop, Ireland.



My flight arrived in Dublin shortly after five o'clock in the morning, local time — midnight at home. It didn't take long to spot dad with my mom's purple suitcase, and my Aunt Mary and Aunt Aggie in customs. After chatting with the chipper man behind the window, we went to claim out bags. It took what felt like hours for mine to finally hit the conveyor belt. A few locals commented that everything takes longer in Ireland.

Fast forward two hours.

We finally arrived at Portobella B&B and were met by Aunt Rosie, Aunt Ethel and my cousin Vinnie. And, even more importantly at this point, a pot of coffee. Between baggage, the bus that never came and finally flagging down a taxi, I was in dire need of a cup (or two). The B&B owners, Paul and Eileen, were very pleasant and offered banana bread to the four of us who had just arrived while the others had their Irish breakfast. I think I ate half the loaf.

Shortly after breakfast (and with very little sleep), we ventured into the streets of Dublin. My first official day. We walked to St. Stephen's on the green. Along the way, the architecture was mesmerizing. I loved the doors of Dublin. Each one adding a little charm to the city. St. Stephen's was a beautiful park with a rainbow of tulips in full bloom. Vinnie even "befriended" a swan. 





We opted to buy tickets to a hop on/off tour. Our first stop St. Patrick's cathedral. We literally hopped off and hopped back on. I'll never understand why/how a church can charge admission. Not even a visit to the gift shop was free. So, my first official stop — Guinness. That was a tour I was willing to shell some Euros to do...



No comments: